Pegasus Bridge was the name given to a mechanical bridge that crossed the Orne Canal which ran from the Channel coast into Caen. It was one of two bridges that had to be captured by men from 6th (Airborne) Division on 6th June 1944 to allow the expansion of the bridgehead and stop the Germans from attacking into the flanks of the landing. D Company of 2nd (Airlanding) Battalion Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, commanded by Major John Howard, were detailed to capture the position by landing there in a series of gliders. Some 180 officers and men came in during the early hours of D-Day, storming the bridge and the buildings beyond. The bridge was taken and the position re-enforced by 7th Battalion Parachute Regiment until the link-up between them and Commandos who had landed on Sword Beach was made in the afternoon of D-Day.
The original Pegasus Bridge was replaced in 1994 and now resides in the superb Memorial Pegasus Museum.